Chubb Locks Wolverhampton image old
Chubb brothers’ innovation launched the global security industry
Chubb is celebrating its 200-year anniversary with a renewed commitment to investment in innovation and customer service. Chubb is a part of UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a unit of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX).
Pictured: Chubb Celebrating 200 Years of Service
In 1818, two enterprising brothers, Charles and Jeremiah Chubb, invented the first and original secure lock mechanism – an innovation that started the security industry and cemented the brand’s focus on innovation, safety, security and customer peace of mind. Now, Chubb is a globally recognised fire and security service business, building on the legacy of its founding fathers, with advancements that continue to make its technology and service solutions essential in an ever-changing world.
“We mark this milestone in appreciation of and to honour the legacy of our founders, who pioneered our entire industry. We’re very proud of our history and where we are today,” said Tracy Cordes, managing director, Chubb Fire & Security. “Our success and tremendous longevity is due to the hard work, talent and loyalty of our employees, who embody the spirit established by Charles and Jeremiah Chubb. That culture and customer commitment is just as important today as it was in the beginning of the 19th century.”
Chubb’s accomplishments over those 200 years have been many. Here, our top 7 reasons to celebrate:
7. Worldwide presence. Chubb operates in 17 countries around the world and protects customers in more than 20, from North America and Asia to Europe. There are over 700 Chubb technicians in the UK alone.
6. Iconic installations. Chubb has helped protect some of the greatest historic and cultural landmarks, amassing an impressive list of extraordinary clients, including Westminster Abbey in London, Alnwick Castle in Northumberland – used as Hogwarts School in the Harry Potter films, Rochester Cathedral, LEGOLAND® Resort in Windsor, key academic institutions such as Newcastle and Swansea University, and leading retailers including Tesco. Other notable heritage sites outside the UK include the Eiffel Tower in Paris and more modern commercial installations like iSquare in Hong Kong.
5. History of Innovation. Chubb pioneered such noteworthy inventions as the world’s first burglar and fire-resistant safe, an electronically-operated time lock, and steel strong rooms capable of withstanding bombardment by naval gun shells.
4. Protecting valuables. In 1835, Chubb patented a burglar-resistant safe, which became in demand to foil bank robberies in the 19th century. This experience in bank protection has continued with Chubb providing CCTV, extinguishers and security systems for many banks around the world.
3. Safeguarding the public. Chubb is nearly everywhere you want to be – from airports to shopping malls, major sporting events and even facilities for monitoring outer space – Chubb has one of the most comprehensive portfolios of fire safety and security solutions, and has provided services to some of the busiest and most important sites around the world.
2. Securing a safe tomorrow. Chubb takes pride in its extensive apprenticeship programme, aimed at helping the newest generations to continue our proud legacy. Starting in 1995, Chubb has worked with nearly 500 apprentices in our Fire & Security Technician Apprentices Scheme, which gives them the knowledge and skills to become full-time branch and systems engineers for the Chubb business. There are currently 29 apprentices in the programme. In addition, Chubb’s parent company, United Technologies, offers the Employee Scholar Program, one of the most comprehensive, company-sponsored employee education programs in the world. Tuition, academic fees and books are covered to pursue a degree in any field, whether or not it’s related to the employee’s job. To date, the company has invested $1.2 billion into the program worldwide, helping employees earn more than 39,500 degrees.
1. Making a difference. Chubb’s breadth and coverage across the UK can be summarised by:
60,000 sites monitored
11,000 service visits per week
1.6 million fire extinguishers serviced per year
350,000 fire extinguishers recycled per year
200,000 sites with service contracts
To learn more about Chubb’s solutions, visit www.chubb.co.uk Chubb Fire & Security on LinkedIn. Follow along on social media using the hashtag #Chubb200.